Set in splendid countryside with oak-lined fairways, open areas, changes of level and picturesque views, and with excellent catering and hospitality to compliment the golf, Retford Golf Club is an all-year-round favourite for many golf societies and casual players.
We offer four tee options, measuring from 6,188 yards (SS 71 for Gentlemen) to 5,489 yards (SS 74 for Ladies). For Gents, the 5,845 yards Yellow Tees are a popular choice for both visiting Golf Societies and Retford’s numerous members’ “fiddles.”
Both the front and back nine offer a mixture of open parkland holes, tree-lined fairways and changes of level.
The course rewards accuracy and, at the same time, offers a few opportunities for longer hitters to excel. Our policy is to control rough areas, especially those adjacent to fairways, to help with ball location and general speed of play. Numerous carefully positioned bunkers, a variety of risk/reward holes and subtle borrows on many of our well kept greens will ensure that even the lowest handicappers are suitably challenged.
- Pro Shop: Yes
- Driving Range: Yes
- Chipping Area: Yes
- Putting Green: Yes
- Buggy Hire: Yes
- Pull-cart Hire: Yes
- Club Hire: Yes
- Teaching Pro: Yes
- Walking Allowed: Yes
- Cards Accepted: Yes
- Policy Here: No
- Dress Code: Proper attire required
- Website: www.retfordgolfclub.co.uk
- Telephone: +44 (0)1777 703733
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Brecks Road, Retford, DN22 7UA
Weekdays – 18 holes
October – March: £26.00
April – September: £38.00
Retford Golf Course dates from 1920, in which year Colonel Sir Albert Whitaker Bart., CBE. of Babworth Hall, leased the fledgeling golf club 38 acres of land on which the first six holes were created.
Tom Williamson designed these holes. Retford is one of more than 60 courses in the UK laid out by Tom (the nearest other course is Coxmoor). The club membership back in the early days was of 100 Gents and 67 Ladies – a very progressive ratio even by today’s standards.
In 1924, the club hosted an event that was attended by the Open Champion of the time, Mr. Arthur Havers. In 1928, a Retford member, Miss K. Watson won the Nottinghamshire Ladies Championship. Her sister, Miss N. Watson, also a Retford member, subsequently won the same championship during the 1930s.
The club raised money during the 1940s through a share issue, and throughout both the 40s and 50s bought additional land. Two further new holes were opened in 1958 by Sir Stuart Goodwin (holes which today are the 13th and 14th), and this completed the first nine holes of the golf course.
Plans to extend the course to 18 holes were first mooted in the mid seventies by the Captain, Major G. Foster. The proposal was to turn the course into a municipal, as part of a joint venture with Bassetlaw District Council. These plans however came to nothing, as did further attempts at cooperation with the local council during the early 1980s. An extension plan was eventually approved by the membership in 1986, and Retford Golf Club remained, as it is today, a private members’ club. Then in 1990, after more than 60 years of play, a further nine holes, mostly at the far side of the Sheffield to Lincoln railway line, were opened by Major Sir J. Whitaker Bart.
In the following year club membership reached a record level of 504 Gents, 116 Ladies and 75 Juniors.
The current Clubhouse was erected in the early part of the current Millennium, and opened by Mr. Bob Wilson of Arsenal F.C. and Scotland in April 2001.