After arriving in Kettering from Scotland in 1889, Dr John Allison discovered that no golf course existed for him to play his beloved game. So, in 1891, he formed Kettering Golf Club and built a 9 hole course designed by Tom Morris of St Andrews.
Shortly afterwards this was extended to the full 18 hole course we have today, making us the original home of golf in Northamptonshire.
We are a Members Club , where the enjoyment of golf and companionship, taken from the spirit of Dr Allison, remains the bedrock of the club. Guests and visitors comment that our course is the “best playing surface in the county”. Although we are a members club we extend a warm welcome to visitors.
Since 1891 our parkland course has matured into one which allows young and novice players to enjoy and perfect their game. We have over the years produced several youngsters who have gone on to become professionals, our latest success Charley Hull. The course also enables our matured players to continue to compete and enjoy the companionship of golf long after many other courses force retirement. For all our members the course has used its years to perfect challenges to keep us on our toes week in week out.
- Pro Shop: Yes
- Driving Range: Yes
- Chipping Area: Yes
- Putting Green: Yes
- Buggy Hire: Yes
- Pull-cart Hire: Yes
- Club Hire: Yes
- Teaching Pro: Yes
- Walking Allowed: Yes
- Cards Accepted: Yes
- Policy Here: No
- Dress Code: Proper attire required
- Website: www.kettering-golf.co.uk
- Telephone: +44 (0)1536 511104
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Headlands, Broughton, Kettering NN15 6XA
It was due to the initiative and enthusiasm of Dr. John Allison that golf was introduced into Kettering and a golf club formed in 1891.
Dr. John Allison arrived in Kettering in 1889 from Coldstream in Berwickshire. He qualified in Edinburgh, and then worked as a house surgeon at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. In Kettering he became the senior practitioner during a career which lasted until he retired in 1930.
He was the first captain of the club and it was he who talked to Tom Morris of St. Andrews to layout the original nine-hole course, now an 18 hole course. In the early days Dr. Allison would be out in the mornings mowing the greens and with a tobacco tin he would true up the holes.
Kettering was the pioneer club of the county and the first nine hole course was established on land rented from the Duke of Buccleuch.
The Club has excellent facilities for all kinds of Social, Business, Formal and Informal events. Our dining area is spacious and can comfortably seat 120 people for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Ideal for your Birthday , Christmas or Family party event.
Bar meals are served every day and are freshly prepared on the premises by a dedicated team of trained staff. In addition to the traditional “Golfer’s snack” – We offer a range of meals and “Specials of the Day” providing members and guests a wide selection of alternatives at affordable prices.